STEPS IN OBTAINING AN OCCUPANCY AND BUSINESS LICENSE
- Make sure you have the address of the building that you would like to occupy.
- Obtain an occupancy/business license packet from the Building Department
- Complete the packet in its entirety and return it to the Building Department with the appropriate inspection and license fees.
- At this time all paperwork will be completed and an inspection date and time will be conveniently scheduled on a Wednesday of your choice. Make sure you have access to the building and have a responsible person there to meet with the Inspector on the scheduled date and time.
- If you are planning on remodeling, adding-on, or altering the building in any way, please let the Building Department know prior to starting the work - permits may be required.
- The inspection will include, but not be limited to, the following items:
A. Fire Extinguisher(s) - provide and mount, have serviced, location, provide clear access, etc.
B. Exiting - signs, no door obstructions, no aisle obstructions, etc.
C. Electrical - cover plates for junction boxes, exposed wiring, outlet covers, etc.
D. Fire Protection Equipment , remove obstructions for access and use of fire appliances and equipment, secure systems control valves in the open position, replace damaged, corroded or painted sprinkler heads, hood and duct extinguishing system to be serviced and tagged, remove grease from hood, duct and filters, and keep clean, etc.
E. Flammable and Combustible Liquids and Materials - provide flammable liquid storage cabinet or reduce storage, provide inside storage room or reduce storage, etc.
F. Storage and Housekeeping - arrange storage in orderly manner to provide access/egress, remove combustible storage from boiler, mechanical, electrical room, remove waste and rubbish materials from premises, etc.
G. Provide address numbering which is visible from the street.
H. Structural - no holes in walls, leaky ceilings, broken windows, etc.
I. Plumbing - in working order, no leaks, etc.
J. Parking provided - if not existing.
K. Trash enclosure provided - if not existing.
- If there are items in need of correction/repair, they must be completed prior to the issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy or Business License. After corrections/repairs have been made, call the Building Department (at no additional cost) and schedule a reinspection to verify that work has been done/corrections have been made.
- If no items are in need of correction/repair, then the Inspector will sign off on the Certificate of Occupancy.
- After all signatures have been obtained, then the Certificate of Occupancy and all appropriate paperwork will be forwarded to the Finance Department who will type up the Business License (if fee has been paid) and forward the license and Certificate of Occupancy via first class mail to the occupant.