80th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION OF HISTORIC PIONEER MUSEUM
OROVILLE CA – April 20 2012 – Little did Florence Danforth Boyle, the founder of what is now known as the Pioneer Memorial Museum, expect that the humble beginnings of her efforts which were inspired by her father’s passion for history, would grow into nearly 6000 square feet of displays chronicling and memorializing the early pioneers who settled in Oroville and Butte County.
The City of Oroville Docents invites the public to a special anniversary celebration that will be held on Saturday, May 5, 2012, from Noon until 4:00 P.M. with a proclamation presented by California State Assemblyman Dan Logue and the rededication of the Museum by Oroville Vice Mayor Thil Chan Wilcox at 11:30 A.M.. Admission to the celebration is free and will include costumed docents providing tours, live entertainment by the Old Time Fiddlers, and refreshments prepared and served by the Las Plumas Culinary Class. The Pioneer Memorial Museum is located at 2332 Montgomery Street in the Historical Downtown district.
When the museum first opened it was a modest structure of 600 square feet and was built on the site of Oroville’s first sawmill. Designed to look like a pioneer’s cabin, the building was constructed from hand made brick and rough hewn timbers. The face of the building was covered with rock quarried from the winter quarters of the Toto Tribe. The entry way is paved with marble stones from the early downtown Oroville sidewalks. From the Montgomery Street entrance the museum retains its quaint look, however once inside visitors will discover multiple displays on two levels.
In 1949, Jess Sank provided a generous financial gift to the museum in memory of his late wife, Cornelia Lott-Sank, which enabled the first expansion to the modest museum. A few years later Mrs. Minnie Brazelton-Fahey of Garden Ranch provided a bequest in memory of her Pioneer family which allowed the completion of the basement to provide additional space for the ever-growing collection of historical artifacts.
The museum was officially dedicated in memory of the Pioneers of California with California James “Sunny Jim” Rolph, the Boyle Family, and other dignitaries in attendance on, May 12, 1932, as the Pioneer Relics House. The ceremony was coordinated by the Grand Officers of the Native Sons of the Golden West with the dedication stone a gift of Frank and Florence Boyle. The museum was operated by the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West, Oroville Parlor until 1999 when it was deeded to the City of Oroville.
The City has continued to expand and improve the museum which also contains many one of-a-kind artifacts. Additional information about the event may be obtained by calling the City of Oroville Parks and Trees Department at (530) 538-2415.
Guests arriving at the May 12, 1932 dedication ceremony
Honored guests & dignataries at the May 12, 1932 dedication ceremony
For Immediate ReleasePress Release Contact: Bob Marciniak City of Oroville (530) 538-2518 email@example.com
Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.